On May 11th, 2015 the European Parliament adopted ENVI Committee opinion on organic production and labelling of organic products. The opinion asks for:
- more flexibility for derogation on non-organic reproductive material;
- introduction of “polluter pays” principle for contamination cases (residues) where there is evidence of third party’s liability;
- development of open and fair quality controls for imported organic products;
- more stringent rules on animal welfare standards;
- organic farming should be enhanced also in other EU legislation: the CAP should secure better incentives and more financial resources. More funding should be available for research and innovation with a view to increasing availability of organic seed and plant reproductive material.